It is usually thought that these are women who pay a lot of attention to their appearance, while men can get away with any look which is more or less decent. Nevertheless, looking good is an important part of having good self-esteem. And even though there is less pressure on men to be presentable, they still try their best, as it makes them feel good as well.
But as men are in general less interested in fashion, it either becomes a whole challenge or they decide not to think too much and put whatever they can first get out of the closet.
As for the first dates, guys are not less stressed about the impression they are going to leave than girls are. That includes choosing the right outfit. But as men are in general less interested in fashion, it either becomes a whole challenge or they decide not to think too much and put whatever they can first get out of the closet.
We have got some good news! The struggle of men preparing for a first date is real, so we collected ideas that will help to create a perfect look to strike the woman of your dreams.
Put in some effort
Is there anything that is for sure your style and anything that is completely out of your normal dressing scheme?
It is always difficult to decide immediately what to wear on a first date like a man. Take your time to prepare and you definitely will have more chances to succeed. Check your closet and analyse the items you have there. Are they in a good state? Do they look good on you? Is there anything that is for sure your style and anything that is completely out of your normal dressing scheme?
Look for some inspiration as well. There is nothing wrong with addressing the Internet in order to find some good examples of first date outfits. You might get some ideas that can be easily put together with things you already own and also come up with something to wear on a daily basis. If you have a style icon in mind who you can relate to style-wise, definitely do some research on his looks.
This is one of the most important things in choosing a look for a first date. Pursuing the desire to look presentable it is easy to disregard the actual situation and look hilarious as a result. Let’s break down several options.
- A casual meet-up. As it suggests, the best choice here would be to remain casual but put together. First of all, choose a neutral colour scheme: there is no need to wear bright neon clothes. Quite on the contrary, classic black and white, dark blue or green will be ideal. Opt for a button-up shirt rather than a t-shirt you usually wear. In winter, pick up a warm sweater. And good news: you still can wear jeans;
- An activity date. This outfit will depend on the kind of activity you plan to do, but you definitely need to be comfortable. Jeans are definitely fine in this case as well, and as for the top, you can pick up a simple t-shirt, but avoid bright graphic prints and better choose a plain-coloured one;
- A fancy dinner. This case requires the most effort so that you look sharp but not like a regular office worker dating over 30. If you know for sure you will visit a high-quality restaurant, you better be prepared. A classic suit is a great option, but it doesn't have to be of a boring black colour, blue, grey or even checkered will do as well. Another variant: black or grey trousers, a perfectly fit jacket and a classic shirt.
Fit it perfectly
No matter how much effort and money you put into choosing the right clothes, if they don’t fit you, it is going to be a failure. The most common thing men do is wear things that are slightly bigger than the size they actually need. As result, the look turns out to be baggy. While in everyday life, when you don’t have an intention to impress anybody, such clothes are very comfortable, they are certainly not for a date night.
Choose the items that are exactly your size and if your closet is lacking them, maybe, invest in some new stuff.
If the fit is wrong, it will reveal all the drawbacks your body has and even create an illusion of those which don’t exist. You will look shorter and fatter, which doesn’t make you more appealing at all. Choose the items that are exactly your size and if your closet is lacking them, maybe, invest in some new stuff. You will find it useful even after the date is over.
Complement it with the shoes
You may think that means you have to choose the most luxuriously looking pair you own. But actually, the main point is to look presentable. And recent research revealed that despite the common opinion, women pay little attention to the shoes in case they are neat and tidy. Their form and cost don’t matter at all.
Depending on the outfit, it can be both leather boots and sneakers: whatever is more suitable.
That gives enough freedom to wear the shoes you are most comfortable in. Depending on the outfit, it can be both leather boots and sneakers: whatever is more suitable. But be sure to clean them beforehand!
Don’t forget about the scent
...just address a shop assistant to consult you and then choose one of the suggested fragrances according to your own taste.
A fragrance you choose can tie your look together. Of course, the choice of cologne is a difficult one for a man, because they don’t know much about cosmetics. If this is your case, just address a shop assistant to consult you and then choose one of the suggested fragrances according to your own taste.
Another thing to remember about cologne is not overusing it. You need just a tiny bit of scented liquid. Otherwise, you’ll call a headache for your date rather than impress her.
Things to avoid are also worth mentioning as for some people it is easier to base their strategy on the opposite. Here is what we strongly recommend a guy shouldn’t wear on a first date.
- Ban the sports clothes. Even if it is what you wear on a daily basis and feel the most comfortable in. All of those sports pants are for a gym session or for staying at home. But on a date, it looks as if you don’t care. If your relationship goes far enough, your partner will see a lot of you in your home wear, but a first date definitely has a purpose to impress rather than ease the woman into your everyday routine.
- No suit and ties. Even if you are attending a fancy party, you shouldn’t look as if you got there straight out of the office. Ease one or two buttons on your shirt collar, open up the jacket a little bit, and forget about a tie - it is too much for a date night outfit.
- Don’t overuse accessories. It is very uncommon for men to do it, but the stress of meeting a person for the first time can lead to unpredictable conclusions. Choose one or two pieces that will complement the whole look. It may be a classic watch or a simple ring. But don’t even think about putting everything you have on at the same time: even if there are only a few pieces, it could already be too much.