Charming Brazilian women and hot Brazilian guys… who could be better to date? This exotic yet modern country attracts people from all around the world with its colourful traditions and amazing people. Those who grew up surrounded by bright colours of annual carnivals and hot weather seem so peculiar to communicate with. Not to mention dating: no way passionate Brazilians are bad at it.
And even though it might seem absolutely great to date Brazilians, there are definitely certain potholes. Don’t be immediately discouraged: these are just the traits people in Brazil have had for years, so if you want to be a happy couple with a local man or woman, just treat these details as a part of their culture. And we are going to tell you everything you need to know about dating culture in Brazil.
Is it even serious?
You will never know. Dating in Brazil is just another way to spend free time alongside reading or watching movies. It often happens just for fun and therefore not treated too seriously. The status of girlfriend or boyfriend doesn’t necessarily imply your partner is absolutely in love and eager to spend their whole life with you.
Brazilians also are pretty passionate and impulsive. So once they meet somebody who is nice and good to spend time with they are up to a relationship. When in other countries it takes a long process of thinking everything over and analysing the need to approach a person you like with a suggestion to date, in Brazil it happens as fast as a week goes. Since this is a thing all over, Brazilians are ready that their relationships won’t last long and therefore don’t give too much value to the status of girlfriend or boyfriend.
Cheating? Nothing special
Don’t take it as a personal offence: you might be significant to a Brazilian and they will only have the most tender feelings for you.
The previous fact leads to another disadvantage of dating a Brazilian: they are not very loyal. That doesn’t mean that Brazilian women are easy or that Brazilian guys are skirt-chasers. They won’t necessarily be in search of love intrigue their significant other is not aware of, but if a nice option is around - they would give it a go.
Don’t take it as a personal offence: you might be significant to a Brazilian and they will only have the most tender feelings for you. But having an opportunity to try something new and diversify the routing, Brazilians definitely go for it. At least, it doesn’t matter who they leave for, only the one they always return to is important, right?
The fire starts fast
But let’s talk about the positive side of vulnerable Brazilian nature. While their love of adventures might not make them the most loyal, Brazilians are a perfect choice if you are looking forward to just having a good time or if casual hookups are your thing. It won’t take long to start officially going out together since you flirt for the first time.
It may not be the best scheme for those who are eager to commit their whole life to a partner - Brazilian affairs don’t always last long. But at least you know it from the very beginning and in case something goes not the way it was expected, you won’t be too surprised about your breakup.
You are mine and I am yours
Regardless of what was said previously, Brazilian people tend to be pretty possessive, and this is kind of a double standard when it comes to relationships. Even though they don’t seem to be too loyal to their significant other, he or they must always stay true to them. At least this is what they like to tell.
- If you are a girl who dates a Brazilian guy, be ready for his control. He will try to be the one who decides each of your steps. Even though they are romantic, if you are a woman who prefers to be independent - Brazilian guys are not the best choice for you. On the other hand, if you like men who treat you like total gentlemen, pay in restaurants and bring you bouquets - Brazilians are perfect;
- Brazilian girls are also extremely controlling and often show jealousy. If you choose to date a girl from Brazil, be ready to give up any communication with female friends - or they will be treated as the worst enemies and your girlfriend can eventually throw a temper tantrum because she is not satisfied with who your friends are.
Let everyone know
Brazilian dating becomes public the moment you get into relationships. Your significant other will have a desire to inform each of their friends about having a new affair. There is no way you could be hiding dating in Brazil: it is just not in their mentality to keep everything private for long.
Don’t be too shy: in Brazilian culture, public affection is a way to confirm the importance of your partner to you.
Prepare to go public on social media as well. A dating status should always show your partner’s name. You will have plenty of pictures together and post them via every account existent. Every date will end up documented and presented on social media. Get used to it and feel the joy: there will be memories pictured so that you could go back on them as well.
Showing affection in public is another common practice for Brazilian couples. Kissing, hugging, holding hands - everything which is more or less appropriate - they will do it. And it doesn’t really matter how long you two have been together. Even if you decided on going out a couple of hours ago, you will be treated the way long-term lovers are. Don’t be too shy: in Brazilian culture, public affection is a way to confirm the importance of your partner to you.
You date them and their beloved
Not literally, of course. But as much as your time will be occupied by a significant other, it will also involve their friends and family. Brazilian dating culture doesn’t require separating even a newly met partner from the nearest and dearest.
Everyone who becomes special for one of them is welcome to join the inner circle and always treated as equal.
If your lover is used to spending time with a group of friends, you will be invited there. And as Brazilians are very sociable, they will treat you like an old friend. No shyness or embarrassment appears among Brazilians. Everyone who becomes special for one of them is welcome to join the inner circle and always treated as equal.
Family gatherings though will take it to a whole new level. Brazilian families are usually big and friendly, with dozens of aunties, cousins and nephews. And all of them are more than happy to meet the one, who possibly can become a member of their family. Brazilians try to celebrate most of the state holidays with their relatives, not to mention their own birthdays and anniversaries. So if you are invited to visit the 30th anniversary of your significant other’s aunt and uncle’s marriage - go for it and use it as another chance to remember every one of their relatives.
How about a usual date?
You will go on dates exclusively with your significant other, of course. And these are for the most part what regular dates are. Here are some kinds of dates people in Brazil prefer:
- Brazilians like to invite their partners to have a coffee and a nice chat in a small but cosy coffee bar downtown. They also enjoy going out to fancy restaurants with delicious cuisine - not necessarily their local;
- Another type of date Brazilian men and women adore is a kind of activity including music. Be it a live concert or a disco party or a jamming local musician on an open-air platform - the only criteria is the ability to dance and have fun;
- But what is the most important ingredient of a date here? Food, definitely the food. You have to eat something yummy and share a meal with your partner while chatting and laughing. It is also very common to cook a special meal yourself. And while you might think it is Brazilian women culture to feed men, guys here enjoy the process of cooking equally much if not more.
The next step
Once you go on a first date, the reasonable question is: what’s next? When is it appropriate to arrange the next meeting? Who should be the initiator? How long should you wait until contacting your date? The list can go on and on because love life seems to be tricky and calls a lot of doubt even among the most confident individuals.
Great news: there are no rules about the second date in Brazil. Nobody is responsible for organizing it - both men and women bring the topic up if they liked the way the first date went. Neither should you postpone calling your date as soon as you say goodbye. And don’t wait too long, which especially concerns women. If she doesn’t get your message in a couple of days, don’t count on dating her. By that time she would probably have already found a new love interest.
Online dating in Brazil
Brazilians just love online dating. As they are fans of spending time with new people and single Brazilians are constantly in search of love, the era of Brazilian dating websites became their favourite. Various dating apps and sites just give more and more space to look for the destined one. And it definitely gives many more chances to explore the people you can’t meet in everyday life. Other advantages of online dating include:
- Convenience. Brazilian people are not only fun and have bright personalities. They are also busy and hard-working, which often doesn’t allow them to waste too much time. So looking for a date online becomes a perfect opportunity to both meet the one and don’t get too distracted from daily business;
- Whatever your goal is - you will find a partner. As Brazilians like to go on casual dates, they appreciate the chance to meet individuals who understand them. But in case a Brazilian man or woman is in search of a long-term partner, they can meet them online as well;
- Even though most Brazilians are known for their open personality, there are introverts in this country as well. But as they still want to date, online dating platforms help to break the ice between them and their partner and avoid awkwardness while finally meeting in person.
All in all, dating in Brazil is fun and pleasurable!